Monday, February 15, 2016

Introducing the Chromascope Quilt

I'm excited to share a new quilt design and pattern with you today. The Chromascope Quilt is a modern variation on a kaleidoscope block, featuring a rainbow of stars set against a trellised grey and white background. Careful color placement creates a diagonal gradation of color and value. The best part about this quilt, aside from the opportunity for color play and use of scraps, is that it can be pieced from a single foundation template.
The eight page, full color, pattern includes fabric requirements, cutting instructions, piecing directions, foundation template, construction diagram, and coloring page. You can find the pattern for the 50" x 60" Chromascope Quilt for sale in my Craftsy shop.
Nervous about paper piecing or creating all those points? I've created a detailed tutorial for piecing the 10" Chromascope block, with step by step photos. You can find the free tutorial over on one of my favorite sewing sites, Sew Mama Sew. I walk you through the process, give you rough cut sizes for each fabric piece, and share tips for precision piecing.
 
The design is such a fun opportunity to play with scraps and think about color. I used some of my favorite prints. I'd love to see your Chromascope blocks and quilts. Tag your photos #chromascopequilt or #chromascopeblock to share yours with the online sewing community.
The gorgeous cover and pattern layout were put together by my friend and fellow quilter, Trish Koch, a photographer and graphic designer. Local peeps, she's a genius at portrait photography, and fellow quilters, she's available for graphic design work.


7 comments:

Little Bluebell (Adrianne) said...

Alex!!! What a gorgeous pattern. I love this so much. I can't wait to make something. Feeling so inspired. : )

Debbie said...

Very lovely! What a great block and resulting quilt!

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

Such a pretty pattern, love this!

Danielle said...

Love it!!

FlourishingPalms said...

It's gorgeous! I'm a big fan of FPP, and this one looks highly desirable. (giggle) Hope you have great success with it.

Karen said...

Alex, I really like the flashes of color on the gray background. Tomorrow--a trial block with your tutorial--maybe I can do this :) Thanks so much!

Izzy said...

So pretty!! I just love the colour placement on this.