Monday, November 12, 2012

Supersized Part Two

In my second supersized quilt challenge, I remade my Flashdance quilt as a twin sized quilt.  Another challenge was getting a shot of this giant (70 x 86) by myself on a bright, windy, cold day.  Here's what I could get.
You can see I kept the piecing as similar to the original as possible, while still creating the blocks improvisationally. 
I echoed the slightly wonky shapes in the piecing with organic, vertical quilting.  It is no easy task to quilt down the entire length of a piece this size, on a home machine, so organic lines are a nice, forgiving option.  Still, it takes concentration to keep things evenly uneven, just as with the crosshatch I did on the baby version.
My favorite unique touches to this version of the quilt are the pieced back and the touch of aqua in the binding. 
I'm happy to say these two are headed to their new home this week.  I hope they will get lots of use, and that a certain two little girls really like them!

9 comments:

Vicki said...

Beautiful! That dense straight line quilting blows me away. I don't think I could do it. The quilt looks great.

Heather D. said...

"evenly uneven" - I totally get that!!

The quilt is awesome.

sew katie did said...

I always love your colors!

Debbie said...

Love this!

Elizabeth said...

They are both gorgeous! And the next time you need a quilt holder, give me a ring and I'll meet you on site. :)

Svetlana said...

such a gorgeous quilt!!!! I just love everything about it, I love how wonderfully modern and unique it is!

**nicke... said...

love it! love the quilting! love the empty space! awesome!!!

tusen said...

As beautiful as the original Flashdance :)I love the pieced back, too.

cinzia said...

Loved the first one. Love this too!!