Thursday, June 28, 2012

Atomic Quilt

What began as an experiment with strips sets became something of an improv piecing puzzle.  I wanted some of the shapes to nestle together, which made for some interesting piecing.  I finally got my atomic shapes arranged and added plenty of negative space for quilting.
I used a combination of straight line and free motion quilting to created some ghost atoms, which I really love.  The free motion design is a squared off meander.
I finally got to use the Shades of Grey chain link print, which is a favorite of mine.  The large scale makes it perfect for backing.  I added an Echo print to one side to make it wide enough. 
I'm happy I followed my instinct to add the little pop of mustard to contrast the starkness of the gray and white.
I think I've decided I want some curves in my atoms in future.  If I dabble with this design again I'd use applique to create the shapes which probably rules out strips sets for this purpose.  Solids would be nice though I think.
This is a throw size quilt, 50 x 58, perfect over the couch or at the end of the bed.  It is in my shop. sold.

14 comments:

Jackie Russell said...

I love everthing about this quilt! Especially the little pop of yellow!

Svetlana said...

This is just beautiful!!! I so love everything about this quilt, the fabric, pattern, quilting, and backing. Gorgeous1

Anonymous said...

I SO love this quilt! The color palette is great, that pop of yellow, all the negative space, and of course those amazing quilting lines!! Beautiful!!

KellyS said...

Very nice! I love the little pop of yellow too! Great job quilting this!

Laura said...

It looks gorgeous Alex! (funny, i presumed your name was Teagan or Ginny!)

felicity said...

Oh wow. What a perfect quilt. The grey, the pop of mustard, the design, THE QUILTING! I love it all!

Rachel said...

Awesome quilt! Love the pop of color!

Krista Schneider said...

Whoa. I agree, the mustard was a fab idea! Loving this quilt :D

Krista Schneider said...

Whoa. I agree, the mustard was a fab idea! Loving this quilt :D

tusen said...

I love it! The composition is great and the mustard colour pop is a brilliant idea.

Lynne said...

SUPER-cool! I love this!

CitricSugar said...

Whoa - I was offline for a few days and look at what I missed!

I love this. I may have to steal inspiration from it in the future.... Fair warning - I probably will. :-)

beth said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this quilt!!! It is a perfectly modern quilt - from the design to the color and even the simplicity. Your overall quilting, is really great!! Like CitricSugar, I may be copying this idea!! I think my son would really like it!

Anonymous said...

Speechless...really. I love everything about this quilt too.