Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bee Blocks

I'm now it two online quilting bees and having lots of fun trying new blocks and using fun fabrics. Here are some of the most recent blocks I've made.

Liz from Bee Addicted 2 asked for geometric blocks featuring squares or rectangles. This was surprisingly fun to make. It helped that I love the fabrics - Heather Bailey's Freshcut. I added the Amy Butler full moon dots - another fave.

The April block from Bee Addicted 2 was straight forward. The curves weren't that bad I found.

These blocks were for my new bee, Bee Lovely. Olivethebeach left things wide open by asking for geometric blocks and giving us some inspiration photos. I chose to do a spin on the me + you block. Her fabrics were really fun - something I'd never have picked.

Finally, my most recent block (done with the one for May already!) for Bee Lovely is for Tammie. It is the Map of the States block, made from a tutorial by Oh Fransson. I won't be making this block again. It's not that it isn't cool. It is. The problem I had with it is that it looks like an improvisationally pieced block, but it has #1 none of the benefits of such piecing and #2 all of the hassle of templates (see previous post!) and adding seam allowances, etc. I'm glad I did it, and I think Tammie's quilt will be stunning, now I'll move on the the next month.

No comments: